Why you should trust your makeup artist and not the opinions of others who have NO experience in this industry…
This blog I’m dedicating to the those who voice their opinions but know very little about our industry.
If I had a dollar for every time a bride arrives home after a makeup trial and their partner or friend thinks its “too heavy” I would be a rich person!!! All they are doing is squashing the brides confidence. It’s actually not always the case, I for one focus on NATURAL LOOKING bridal makeup, so I’m going to explain what the out-siders don’t understand about our industry standards.
Partner/Friend Says > it looks a bit “heavy” or “it doesn’t look like you” or “I can’t see your face”
BREAKING IT DOWN: Gosh with compliments like that, the bride must start questioning it! And I guess when you compare your partner/friend who wears NO makeup at all or vary rarely (and wouldn’t match that of a professional level), then yes one would be excused for thinking this…however what you (dear friend or partner) don’t understand is that there is a level of finish that is required in this industry and your “heavy” is actually not heavy at all, but a mere standard that is required for the following purposes:
- longevity – if we don’t apply your makeup to a certain standard, it won’t last an hour, so our experience and application is applied correctly to achieve it will last the formalities.
- photographically – photographers would know this all to well, but for those who haven’t got any prior knowledge to why makeup needs to be applied slightly heavier than your “day wear” is because there is a level that needs to be set for photographic purposes also. If the application is too thin, you will look washed out and see all the blemishes (that you actually come in wanting covered).
- to help even out your skin tone – we all have blemishes, whether it be freckles, pigmentation, broken capillaries or redness and it’s not about covering these completely and thats not what my aim is when creating “natural”, its understanding that a good makeup application also just helps to even-out your skin, so you look radiant in those wedding photos your paying top dollar for.
- to match the rest of you – you spend all this money on an expensive fancy, glamorous, gorgeous wedding dress, on your accessories, shoes, spend all the money on a fancy “themed” wedding with all the bells and whistles and then want to go without the makeup to match the occasion?? I think not!! Unless you actually want to look ‘washed-out’, let the professionals get the right application for “bridal” makeup that is required to makeup you look like that gorgeous, glowing, radiant bride!
REMEMBER THIS –
professional photographs will always look softer, so PLEASE understand that the amount required is so that the end result is perfect once you receive those precious images back!
REALITY VS PROFESSIONAL
After several sessions where I have to explain to brides (particularly those who wear vary little makeup) that bridal makeup will be a little heavier than your day wear (which is not a suitable coverage), I decided to spend an afternoon doing my own makeup to show exactly what I mean.
1. No makeup looking very dull and sickly…unfortunately not a natural beauty
2. When you think the “no makeup” look is going to give you that radiant finish? then wonder why u look washed out? Do you know why? Because sometimes you actually need a number of different items/extras to achieve a little more sparkle
3. Finished “natural” looking makeup with the correct colours & additions
A much better finish and complexion. What most people don’t get to see, are the befores so thats why I’ve put my bare face for all to see. You can now see ALL those images you keep saving as “natural” looking makeup have had a decent process to achieve that look.
WHAT I USED TO GET THIS LOOK
- Liquid Foundation
- Loose Powder Foundation
- Loose Powder Bronzer
- 2 Eyeshadows
- Eye Pencil
- Natural “looking” false lashes
- Sheer Tinted Gloss
“JUST GO BACK TO BASICS AND TALK HUES/COLOURS YOU LIKE OR PREFER AND PUT THE TRUST BACK INTO YOUR MAKEUP ARTIST TO PRODUCE THE BEST LOOK”